Hong Kong/ Stanley – Murray House
By TraNews Reporter Fan, Kang-Wu
TAICHUNG, TAIWAN (TraNews) – While taking a breezy stroll along the waterfront of Stanley Beach, it is quite impossible to ignore the sight of an attractive colonial building next to Blake Pier in Stanley. Murray House is a prominent landmark of Stanley.
Originally built in 1846 in Central as barracks for the British military, the Victoria-style building was relocated to Stanley in 1999. Murray House was one of the oldest historical landmarks that has been designated as Grade 1 Historic Building.
In 1982, the historical landmark was dismantled to make way for the new Bank of China Tower. Over 3,000 building blocks were carefully labeled and stored for future reconstruction. The building was finally restored in Stanley in 1999, and was regarded as one of the large-scale reconstruction projects in Hong Kong.
Murray House is a three-storey colonial building designed in Classical architecture style. Elements such as heavy stone walls, stone columns and long corridor design impart a sense of exoticism. Now, the building houses the Hong Kong Maritime Museum on the ground floor and exotic cuisine restaurants on the second and third floor.
How to get there:
1. MTR Hong Kong Station Exit D and take bus 6, 6A, 6X, 66 or 260 at Exchange Square Bus Terminus.
2. MTR Causeway Bay Station Exit B, walk to Tang Lung Street then take green minibus 40.
3. Bus 973 from Canton Road in Tsim Sha Tsui outside Silvercord Centre.